Re: Need tips for teaching Altphoto workshop

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/06/00-08:45:56 PM Z

Starting with cyanotype is an excellent idea. It is inexpensive and
not very toxic and fairly easy. Also it has a tonal range like
platinum and VDB. Get some watercolor paper that is easy to coat.
Natural fibers like cotton work well with cyanotype. My students
enjoyed making their own cyanotype T shirts.

When I was teaching, I always began alternate process with
cyanotype and worked up to VDB and then went from there to platinum
and so on.

You don't need large negs for beginners. If the have 4 x 5 cameras
have them make 4 x 5 prints. They will use less sensitizer and paper.

For larger images, you might consider photograms and cliché verre or
consider tapeing four or more 4 x 5 negs together.

My students made there own negs by 1.) painting on glass plates
2.) spraying a glass plate with flat black paint and scratching
on it when the paint was dry and 3. using ortho film to make a
photogram which was then used as a negative.

I suggest you get some pieces of plywood for coating boards, some
clothsline and plastic clothespins to hang up prints, some 15 watt
incandescent bulbs for coating and lots of paper towels.

Most of all I suggest you consider writing a simple lab manual with
all the instructions and hints for the processes you use.

Also, a hint by way of Judy, you can use regular paint brushes for
coating if you varnish the metal ferrule or better still use cheap
sponge brushes. Get the ones with the wooden handle. For some reason
they are thicker and softer.

Have fun,

Bob Schramm