Need tips for teaching Altphoto workshop

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 12/04/00-10:47:57 PM Z

Greetings fellow photographers,

At a recent gathering of Big Horn Basin artists, my cyanotype, gum, and
combination cyanotype/gum prints provoked considerable interest. An
instructor from Northwest College asked if I would be willing to teach a
weekend workshop to photography students there. I said yes, but I would
have to research the logistics involved.

I know there are some very talented educators on this list. If any of you
can share some practical tips or suggestions to help me get started, it
would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep material costs minimal and
the equipment required simple.

Most of the photo students at Northwest own or have access to 4X5 cameras,
and can come to a workshop with suitable 4X5 negatives for printing. A UV
vacuum contact frame is available, and the Wyoming sun is very reliable.
I'm thinking of beginning with cyanotype, and then going into gum
dichromate. I may include a brief introduction to pinhole photography as
well. I believe that making enlarged negatives and the laborious
gelatin/formaldehyde sizing of paper are too intensive and time consuming
for this setting, and that shortcuts are needed around these steps. My
basic approach would be to get students involved in (and excited about)
actually making prints.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best regards,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy