Re: All Gum Show online exhibit

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/12/00-01:33:57 PM Z

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:

> > I find that sometimes I have to put work away for a while before it is clear
> > to me what I should concentrate on printing. Self editing is difficult for
> > me because at times my concepts and subjects stem from fuzzy thinking. But
> > eventually a strain of work seems to appear like different veins of ore.
> > Digging out the ore is at times the hardest part.
>
> I agree. But I don't consider it 'fuzzy' thinking with the attendant
> negative connotations. It just hasn't emerged into consciousness.
>
> > So at this point you have you have two or three gum coats with different
> > tints?
>
> Or maybe four or five.

In my experience, gum printing is the anti-previsualization photography
(and not a moment too soon). I sometimes have a print in progress for more
than a year -- I get stuck, it sort of gets buried in the midden, then one
day it surfaces and -- I see INSTANTLY what it needs.

The problem, at least for me, is that sometimes I do start with a clear
idea in mind, and something else emerges. That often should be seized with
joy (not always, needless to say). The hard part is knowing when to want
what you get if you didn't get what you (originally) wanted. Of course
with enough time and more perfect world, we could get both.

But I think this is a very different premise in gum -- as I said a
couple of years ago on these very pages, and I believe Sarah aptly
describes: a gum print is (often if not always) interactive, like a
painting -- you look at what you've got so far & continue from there.

Judy