Re: Gelabrom: liquid emulsions perfectly coated

From: Burkhardt Kiegeland (bkiegeland@weisserlotus.co.at)
Date: 12/18/00-03:54:19 PM Z

Stefan,

»absolute perfect and smooth« sounds rather absolute...

With a hake brush I come to nice results by working
fast and using just the tips of the brush and with very
little pressure for putting cross layers on the paper.
Of course this is a question of dilution too. Another method
is to tape the paper onto a flat surface like plexiglass and
to let it float. I do this for coating Albumin.
Some practitioners recommend to spray the emulsion in higher
dilution by airpressure. I found this advice in a British
book on liquid emulsions but don´t own the eqipment.

A photographer from Italy told me recently for coating he
would use the turntable of an old record player -
centrifugal forces. Sounds interesting. I believe there are
more options known to the people on this list.

More generally spoken I could imagine that some day in the
future some ingenious person will come out with a little and
affordable »home-coating-machine« for paper, plates and
film...

Burkhardt Kiegeland