Gelabrom: liquid emulsions perfectly coated

stefan@2s-image.de
Date: 12/18/00-11:46:28 AM Z

Hi Burkhardt & Sandy

Yes absolutly right, talking about the limitations of this process.

I myself would prefer carbon transfer as well but had allways
problems with visible air bells in the final print and partly
unsatisfying adhesion of the final image to the transfer paper
(only fixed out baryta paper worked well but I prefer fine
artist papers which allways have more or less textured surfaces).

A process like Gelabrom which avoids transfer, would be very
appealing to me as I am only interested in fine paper bases and
permanence rather than a linear grey scale.

So Burkhardts suggestion to use hand coated artist papers for
producing the basic bromide sounds great.

But my question is, is it possible to coat an artist paper absolutely
perfectly and smooth?

I tried it only a few times and (other than with pt/pd, where perfectly
smooth coating is very easy) got allways results showing a pattern
in the final print caused by the brush or by the more or less heavy
coating on the paper due to the raw surface.

Are there any tricks & techniques to apply a perfect coating of an
emulsion (rather than plain liquids) to a raw artist paper?
Any ideas?

Thanks & Regards
Stefan