Re: Humidifying Box Construction and Happy Holidays!

From: fishy (fishy@mediaone.net)
Date: 12/24/00-10:58:18 AM Z

FDanB@aol.com wrote:

> Any tips on building a box for humidifying hand-coated papers?
>
> I want to build one and would like to hear any and all suggestions with
> emphasis on the following points:
>
> For my current darkroom, I'll be limited to a counter-sized unit. (I'm
> still interested in hearing of other design ideas, however.)

Dear Dan-

The simplest way is to buy a opaque tray (photo or even kitty litter)
and put some weather-stripping along the top edge. Then use a 1/4"
thick glass for the cover. You can paint it black if you're humidifying
coated paper. I use stick on magnetic strips attached to the underside
of the glass to hold the paper above the water or salt solution. You
could also put a mesh screen above your water solution, to keep the
paper above it.

Use an inch or so of water- put the paper in the box for 20 minutes or
so before coating. Or, you could use sodium chloride and water
(saturated solution) for about 80% relative humidity. The advantage to
using salt is that the paper doesn't become too wet, and can be stored
indefinitely in the hydration chamber.

Check out Mike Ware's website for further info. http://www.mikeware.demon.co.uk

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Dan Donovan