Re: printing out paper

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 12/27/00-10:10:24 PM Z

On Wed. Dec. 27, Judy Seigel wrote:

> An EMULSION, on the other hand, such as ziatype or whatever, mixed by us
> or perhaps even available in liquid form to be coated on whatever paper
> by the user, would more accurately be a printing out PROCESS.

I agree with Judy's distinction between a printing-out-process and a
printing-out-paper. A distinction I make that Judy may not make is between
an emulsion and a chemical solution. P.O.P. with silver chloride salts in a
gelatin coating is for me an emulsion. Gum bichromate with pigment suspended
in sensitized gum arabic is also an emulsion. The trick with syrupy
emulsions is to attach them to the support but to keep them on the surface
of it. Cyanotype, vandyke, palladium, platinum and ziatype are all chemical
solutions, watery mixes that soak into the fiber of the paper. I think it
helps those who are learning alternative processes to understand this
distinction. Does anyone else find this a helpful distinction?

Sarah