Re: gum printing without dichromate

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/30/00-04:35:23 PM Z

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> I might be wrong, but from your description it sounds like the ultraviolet
> causing fading on the natural color of gum and also the color of coffee (a
> natural dye), so you see if the image.

> It seems like coffee produces better prints. It might be because prussian
> blue is pretty stable and so is not affected by UV.
>
> << The image washed off under water. I will repeat both experiments and keep
> the evidence this time.
> >>

> It means that the gum is not hardened. Only the "color" of the gum and/or
> coffee is changed by UV exposure.
>
> But I am interested in your further tests. I might do the same here too.

Assuming you do get an interesting, even splendid effect, you can't count
on dry gum in air lasting very well unless hardened in some manner.
Perhaps careful immersion in liquid containing alum, or formaldehyde or
glyoxal would suffice... Otherwise, besides crumbling effects of time,
you'd be at risk of small life forms coming to lunch, etc.

Judy