Re: First kallitype

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/30/00-05:50:46 PM Z

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Joe Portale wrote:
> ...The state of the printiing trade has not evolved to a
> point where pictures can be reproduced ***EXACTLY*** as they would appear in
> real life.

And may it ever be thus...otherwise our "originals" are sort of pointless,
aren't they? I mean, buy the book & have a whole portfolio for $29.

> But to support your experiment, it has long be asserted that many of the
> platinum pictures hanging in galleries, museums or in collections are
> actually well produced kalli's.

Well, let me quibble here . When you say "well-produced kalli's," you
imply that that's requisite for looking like pt-pd, that an *ordinary*
pt-pd print is somehow of better *quality* than ordinary kalli. I'd say,
at risk of being accused of "anti-platinum attitude," and perhaps you, or
Carl, or whoever, will correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience,
scale is scale, and as easy to get in the one medium as the other, while
in fact depth of tone may be easier in kalli.

Which is to say that as far as I have been able to discover, the
*difference*, the reason for greater value of pt-pd, is archivality. (I
don't address prestige, I mean print "quality.") Toning the kalli may take
care of that, partially.

> Your point was well intended, but it missed the mark. And don't take this
> personally, it is not. You would have been better served to have a group of
> "knowledgable" platinum and kallitypists in a room and show them ten prints
> of mixed petigree and ask them to tell you which is which.

And how about a ringer -- one inkjet print (and no loupes allowed)? New
inks on right paper are claiming 200 years.

Judy