Fw: APIS

From: Liam Lawless (lawless@ic24.net)
Date: 02/02/00-10:43:56 AM Z

We are finalising the arrangements for APIS/PhotoHistorica in October 2000
at the 18C Guildhall in Bath. Trips to Lacock, Avebury and Gandolfi on on
11 October, Symposium 12,13,14 and fairs including equipment, books and
tables for modern alt and photo derived images, on 15 October. There will
an exhibition illustrating the themes of the symposium and an associated
exhibition at the RPS. There will be a dinner in the concert room of the
Roman Bath with drinks around the Roman Bath itself. There will also be a
number of associated activities.

Our overall objective has been to provide the best speakers we could from
around the world
to provide an aspirational basis for the proceedings. As the speakers will
be good communicators who know how to avoid jargon , we aim to achieve
cross fertilisation of ideas. As you know the idea is to have four PARALLEL
sessions giving both choice and an element of competition. On the process
side we have sessions on four colour carbon and pigment transfer processes,
photogravure, the autochrome, the Lippmann process, Becquerel
daguerreotypes, the history of gum printing, the revival of alternative
processes in the US, glycerine/ platinum, alternative processes in the
print studio and the history of digital imaging .

We hope that Lord Young and Larry Schaaf will open the proceedings. We have
sessions on Marey by Joel Snyder and Mortensen by Allan Coleman. The
curators of three or four world class photographic collections in museums
will talk about 'their' collections and there will be questions and a
discussion. Other sessions include'Protophotography' ( an account of false
dawns), how the great are deemed to be great, how fascist regimes affected
the history of photography, the use of photography in the development of
Australia and Canada, pictorial photography in Spain, focus and aesthetics,
architectural photography in Italy, the history of wedding photography
since 1945 and a special centenary of the Brownie covering everything from
the pictures it took to its marketing.

Block bookings at a range of hotels have already been taken for the
symposium.We will arranging for overseas bookings and, if needed, travel
arrangements, to made through a travel agent. The cost of the symposium is
likely to be around one hundred and fifty pounds or $250.

There will be full publicity when the programme has been finalised in the
next couple of weeks but priority will be given to those who contact me at

takingphotos@hands-on-pictures.com

Terry King

PhotoHistorica and APIS are arranged with the Historical Group of the Royal
Photographic Society and with the cooperation of the RPS itself.