Re:PVA = GUM????

From: Ray Rogers (earthsoda@yahoo.com)
Date: 02/04/00-09:29:13 AM Z

--- Peter Marshall <petermarshall@cix.co.uk> wrote:

> First if you have used gum arabic you have used glue

I admit right off that I know I have no authority on
the subject, but something bothers me about this and
related statements which follow in the above post.

The on-line Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines 'Glue'
as mainly...

"any of various strong adhesive substances;
especially: a hard protein chiefly gelatinous
substance that absorbs water to form a viscous
solution with strong adhesive properties and that is
obtained by cooking down collagenous materials (as
hides or bones)...."

in other words, a crude 'gelatin'. Not PVA.

Of course,the word 'Glue' is used in a more general
way, I admit, but to say that PVA is a major component
of 'glue' is a bit stretching I think.

In any case, I wouldn't want to call a PVA print A GUM
print...It would sound dishonest. Well, at the least,
misleading and inaccurate.

That said I am not currently a gum printer and cannot
speak for others who are.

What, friends and colleagues, is your opinion?

Would it be correct to call a PVA print a GUM print?

Would 'PVA print' be preferable?

What about 'Synthetic' or 'Artificial' GUM print?

If gum printing is going synthetic, is it time for a
better name?

Ray