Re: Film

From: Liam Lawless (lawless@ic24.net)
Date: 02/04/00-09:33:03 PM Z

Hi James,

Thanks for your answer. My friend did buy a box of 20X24 Aristatone, but there seems to be a problem with it: it has a
very low D-max and it requires incredibly long exposure and development times to get up to D-max, which is under 2.0.
If you hold the undeveloped film up to the light, it's almost transparent. I think he was just unlucky, and another box
would be OK, but I don't think he's prepared to risk it again. He actually paid Bergger to make a batch of film just
for him in the size he wanted (several thousand pounds!), but says that a lot of it comes out streaky and he ends up
throwing most of it away. He's a professional platinum printer and is getting desperate now that he can't find a
replacement for the discontinued Agfa films.

You say you're happy with Aristatone: can you get a good, solid black on it with reasonable exposure times and a normal
development of 2-3 minutes? What developer do you use, and do you know if others are also OK?

Liam