Re: Film

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/05/00-12:24:56 AM Z

Liam, James, etc.: What is this "Aristatone" film that's not doing much
density? Can you describe it some more? In any event, what's wrong with
the APH and APHS lith film, which my space cadet undergraduates did just
fine with to make enlarged negs...?

Whether it's "more trouble" to have film made to order is surely open to
question -- but for positive/negative on the (very cheap!) lith you can
get very good control with Dave Soemarko's method as outlined P-F #2. And
if it's too much trouble to mix his low-contrast developer, he says (and
reports are) you can do more or less as well with D-76.

Incidentally, some of those films on a thin base do look fairly
transparent held up to the light... or have seemed so to me. Did your
friend try a stronger developer, say D-19? Or longer development? If
that's a standard film, it's not going to develop in 2-3 minutes, is it?

Judy