Re: History of alt +

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/07/00-01:11:39 AM Z

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Campos & Davis Photos wrote:

> This list is supposed to be about non silver processes so I ask this
> question in the knowledge that digital imaging is a real non silver
> process!
> The history of the photographic image is well documented. In the UK we
> read that Fox Talbot is considered the Father of photography, although
> others were working on processes at the time which used
> electromagnetic radiation to produce an image aswell.
> Can anyone tell me the supposed history of digital imaging? When was
> the first digital image made?
> Was it rastor or vector? Who thought up the idea of rastor images? I
> suspect this sort of information will need to be collated by
> historians someday when all but a few images become digital.

Circa 1973 I took a "pilot program" course in computer graphics, taught by
Ken Knowlton, who had invented what I believe was the first computer
graphics language, called Explor, a derivative of Fortran. I spent the
week programming a checkerboard design -- by key punch (whether that was
raster or vector I don't know, but you didn't see it on a monitor, because
there were no monitors). The last day it was printed out by mainframe.

A few years before that Ken and Lillian Schwartz had collaborated on
computer animated films, among the very first computer animations... They
were spectacular, and tho I have been an animation fan ever since, I don't
think I've seen them bested, even with software-hardware hardly dreamed of
at that time.

The course, BTW, was in conjunction with the first annual conference of
computer graphics, which became (if memory serves) SIGRAPH, or like that.
So the medium had already gotten up a head of steam. And I'll add that
some of the animations screened at that conference prefigured much of
what's been done since. And no (oh, barf !!!) cutesy tensor lamps !!!

Judy