Re: Q: preservative -- was: gum-Spirts of Salts

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/07/00-12:28:14 PM Z

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Andre Fuhrmann wrote:
> ... I ll continue adding a little bit of dichromate
> to Cy-A (or B? ;-) -- that definitely does stop fungus growth. For gum I
> ll try 1% glyoxal.

Andre, a suggestion: Test your cyanotype emulsion with and without the
dichromate added. I know that in the amounts suggested as *contrast
control* the dichromate definitely degrades the print -- loss of highlight
delicacy, in fact loss of highlights, plus it slows the exposure. It's
probable/possible that the tiny amount used for fungicide wouldn't do
that, but.... as the chem prof told me when I protested the effect of one
drop: "There are millions of ions in everything."

Judy