Re : Cyanotype(?) question

From: roger.kockaerts (roger.kockaerts@chello.be)
Date: 02/08/00-03:27:46 AM Z

Roger Kockaerts
Professor photographic conservation-restoration
at Hogeschool Antwerpen, Belgium.

----------
>De : Ed Herny <edphemra@pacbell.net>
>À : alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
>Objet : Cyanotype(?) question
>Date : Mar 8 fév 2000 8:20
>

> Hello,
> Recently acquired a small group of real-photo postcards of Yosemite
> circa 1920's. The images are all in shades of cyan-blue. I have seen
> other "cyanotype" real-photo cards before, but these are somewhat
> different. Previously seen cards had a matte finish and no blue color
> showing through the back of the paper. This group all have a very high
> gloss finish and a blue tint bleeding through to the backs. Is this
> just another variant of the cyanotype process or could these images
> simply be "tinted" blue after being printed by a conventional (silver
> chemistry) black and white process. Please excuse my ignorance of the
> technical details involved, but feel free to attempt to "smarten" me by
> imparting whatever technical details you can.
> Thanks.
> Ed Herny
Hello Ed,

You should begin by learning how to correctly identify photographic and
photomechanical processes. Kodak publication G-2, 1986: "Care and
Identification of 19th Century Photographic Prints" by James Reilly
contains valuable information on the subject.

Greetings,

Roger

Visit our homepage at: <http://home.tvd.be/cr25588/pH7/>