Re: Arches platine problems

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 02/08/00-09:39:46 AM Z

>Recently a friend gave me a few sheets of arches platine to try out. He told
>me he wasn't satisfied about it, ...

I have never tried chasing up Arches Platinum. I got stuck on Arches
Watercolour Fine Grain "satiniert" (100% rags). It comes in 300g and 185g.
I use it for both cyanotype (old and new) and for vandyke with good
success. Overall the best in a wide range of papers I tested. But
occasionally I did get staining problems. Among the highest quality papers
Hahnemuehle was about equal, in some respects even better, but the surface
is rougher than Arche "satiniert" whence I reserve it mostly for gum.
Surprisingly I found a rather cheap paper that works excellently with both
cyanotype and vandyke: Canson sketch paper ("Zeichenpapier"). It is
internally sized, weighs 120g and comes in books of 200 at, yes, less than
DM 20 = US$ 10. Good contrast and fine highlight definition.

Andre