Arches platine problems

From: Vrueh, G.J. de (G.J.de.Vrueh@pve.agro.nl)
Date: 02/08/00-08:22:22 AM Z

Hello out there,

Recently a friend gave me a few sheets of arches platine to try out. He told
me he wasn't satisfied about it, and showed me some (classic) cyanotypes
that indeed were not good. very light and there wer strange spots were there
was almost no color.

I have tried this paper with New cyanotype and i have noticed the folloing:

-the paper seems to have to differend structures on either side one
structured but very fine and smooth and the other side a bit more rough and
not structured.

- when i coated the smooth but structured side, the print was a little
gritty looking and there was no highlight detail. the print looked to hard.
-when i coated the rough side the sentisizer was not absorbed by the paper
even. ther were lighter sports where there was less penetration (. after
exposure and washing the highlights showed trange colored spots
(greyish-yellow looking) were it looked like the paper had not cleared
properly. the print looked hard and the highlights had no detail.

in both cases i used a little tween (one drop 2% per 1 ml sentisizer)and i
made more than one print with differend negs that have given me good results
with other papers. I also tried argyrotype but this failed to give me a good
result (in accordense with finding of mike Ware). Strange is that Mike Ware
says that this paper is good for his New Cyanotype

What side of the paper is the right one?
What are youre experiences whith this "famous " paper?
Is it really that good or.........
Is Tween causing the problem? or am i doing someting wrong?

PS Has anyone ever tried Buxton paper and what was your result??? (I want to
buy some to try out)

Greetings from Holland,
Gerard de Vrueh