Re: Arches platine problems

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 02/08/00-01:00:55 PM Z

>- when i coated the smooth but structured side, the print was a little
>gritty looking and there was no highlight detail. the print looked to hard.
>-when i coated the rough side the sentisizer was not absorbed by the paper
>even. ther were lighter sports where there was less penetration (. after
>exposure and washing the highlights showed trange colored spots
>(greyish-yellow looking) were it looked like the paper had not cleared
>properly. the print looked hard and the highlights had no detail.
>
>in both cases i used a little tween (one drop 2% per 1 ml sentisizer)and i
>made more than one print with differend negs that have given me good results
>with other papers. I also tried argyrotype but this failed to give me a good
>result (in accordense with finding of mike Ware). Strange is that Mike Ware
>says that this paper is good for his New Cyanotype
>
>What side of the paper is the right one?
>What are youre experiences whith this "famous " paper?
>Is it really that good or.........
>Is Tween causing the problem? or am i doing someting wrong?

Hello Gerard,
 As I am looking at my recent cyanotypes(traditional formula) and VDB
prints on some of the Arches Platine, I have to report that I can not
recognize any of the symptoms that you see in your prints. But I think
that's to be expected...we're not the same... Anyway, when I have in
the past found discolored areas, I suspect it is due to the paper not
being evenly and completely dry before printing, sometimes caused by
puddling of too much chemical during coating. I have also started to
always filter with a small funnel and coffee filter the ferric ammonium
citrate before using it. Even the tiniest speck of the mold or spore
seems to make a off color spot as it gets brushed into the paper. I
have been preshrinking the paper before printing with a soak of almost
boiling water... I print on the smooth front side and use tween as
well. My wash water is from a system of mountain wells and is not
heavily treated with chemicals like many cities. I'm pleased with the
evenness and range of color when printing on this paper.
 I hope you soon stumble into the method that gives you the results you
wish!
garimo