Re: Arches platine problems

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 02/10/00-03:43:18 AM Z

>Andre,
>
>I use Hahnemuehle etching paper with very good results with both VDB and
>Cyano. Its very smooth and has good wet strength. I get it in 49" X 10meter
>rolls and its cheap that way.

Interesting. I must admit that I never looked seriously at etching paper.
Perhaps next time I visit my arts supply shop, I ll buy a sheet for trial.
I feel a paradoxical disposition probably shared by many on the list. On
the one hand I am tempted to try out lots of materials, especially papers.
On the other hand I don't really believe much in testing as the number of
parameters in photographic processes are difficult to control. When
processing I like an intuitive, not a lab style approach. But that sort of
approach works best when keeping to just one set of equipment and
materials. I suppose this is common knowledge -- but the sort of knowledge
I frequently feel an urge to act against.

>By the way what do you use for sizing the Hahnemuehle for gum?

Gelatine, hardened with chromium alun, applied with a soft brush. Works
fine for me though there might be better approaches. For some samples you
may want to look at
http://www.uni-konstanz.de/FuF/Philo/Philosophie/Fuhrmann/serien/Gum/Gum.html

ndre