Re: Heavy base fog developing Tri-X in Rodinal

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 02/10/00-03:54:06 AM Z

>The other day I decided to use Agfa Rodinal (the first time in years) to
>process roll film Tri-X. To my surprise there was a great deal of film base
>fog. The problem was the developer, as I processed two seperate batches of
>film at differerent dilutions which resulted in two different base fog
>densities. My experience with Rodinal is limited, but I never experienced
>this problem in the past. I would like to continue using Rodinal, especially
>for processing enlarged negatives, as it is convenient to mix from a
>concentrate.
>
>Any sugggestions?

Hi Vasilios,

I never measured base fog levels -- I just print through them (-; But as
to Rodinal, I share your enthusiasm. It is a very versatile developer
adaptable to all sorts of needs. But I only use it for large format film
where grain matters little. The combination Tri-X roll film and Rodinal
strikes me as, lets say, adventurous. Rodinal, at any dilution, works very
grainy indeed. Unless you are specifically after a grainy effect I
consider Rodinal a degrader for fast films up to roll format. (Matters ar
again different with slow films.)

Andre