Re: Two days with PT/PD

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/13/00-11:44:03 AM Z

fishy wrote:
> ... I've stored POP
> (Ammonium Pt/Pd) coated paper for several months with great results. I
> simply place the paper in a light tight, airtight container with a
> quantity of desiccant (I use silica gel). When I want to print, I
> remove the paper and humidify it. This is based on the recommendations
> of Mike Ware and Pradip Malde. It works.

Dan,

I would certainly be interested in seeing prints from a coating before
and after such storage. I have not used ammonium based chemistry, but
coating from the chemistry described in my Guide stored as you indicate
(and even if additionally frozen) does deteriorate even as soon as after
four hours.

Some prints get a slight mottled look, some get more grainy, some get
flatter, some have weaker blacks, most get some fogging, most loose some
detail, and I suspect (but have not tested) that clearing may become
more difficult.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/