Woodbury revisited!

From: Mats Broberg (mbroberg@swipnet.se)
Date: 02/13/00-10:48:26 AM Z

Dear listmembers,

As some of you might remember, I inquired about the Woodburytype process
a few months ago and quite a few of you gave me some really good advice
about where I could find literature, articles etc. I was, and am, very
grateful for that.

Since then I have acquired the German edition of Vidal's principal
Woodburytype handbook (printed in Halle 1897) that I am slowly but
surely deciphering with my crude high school German (I really wish I had
paid more attention in those classes!). Some of you might be interested
in further details of the process, so I plan to post a longer summary on
the list of the handbook in a few months.

Furthermore, I am now in possession of 30-40 photographs of what might
be the only surviving - or at least on of the extremely few - hydraulic
presses originally designed for the plate preparation of Woodburytype
lead plates. I came across this press by pure accident when visiting
Australia a few days ago, walking around in an old industrial area
taking photographs of facade lettering. This hydraulic press was used as
an ordinary press in a foundry, blacksmithing and machinery workshop and
the gentleman in question was not aware of the fact that it was a
originally designed as a press for the preparation of Woodburytype
plates. The casting says "PATENT WOODBURYTYPE PRESS" and on the other
side of the press "TANGYE BROS. MAKERS BIRMINGHAM". The hydraulic
cylinder is mounted below the floor and operated with a hand-cranked
hydraulic pump.

If anyone of you are interested in pictures of this particular press,
let me know and I'll send them off-list.

Mats Broberg,
printer, Sweden