Re: Mordancage: background and formula (long post)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/19/00-01:44:28 PM Z

Hi Jon and All..

As ever, the BEST, the VERY BEST way to get some info on this (or any!)
list is to post a mistake !!! (And as ever, I am perfectly willing to
oblige.) Thus I most ardently thank you for the fill-ins. Of course what
this also proves is that one's "info" becomes very quickly obsolete in
this fast-moving world, because, for instance, when I did mordancage some
years ago, the copper chloride, et al, were prohibitively expensive.

However, when talking HISTORY, one is on safer ground. So, for the general
enlightenment and/or puzzlement, I note the following:

I first heard about mordancage from Pierre Cordier, who taught a workshop
in chemigram at ICP sometime around 1983. He referred (actually in
passing) to a process he called "Mariage" -- what's that!?...He replied,
in effect, "oh you know, it's mordancage". I hadn't heard of that either,
and I daresay instantly lost whatever credibility I might have had.
Cordier made it clear that the process was quite familiar and popular in
France, and that I'd find it "in the literature."

I did ultimately, tho I don't remember where -- it wasn't in any one of 10
editions of "Facts and Formulas," for instance. It may have been
Glafkides, and/or Clerc, but a man by the name of *Mariage* was given as
inventor/discoverer -- and as I recall he was quite prior to Sudre.
Although Sudre of course may have evolved, popularized, and made it his
own.

That info is carefully filed somewhere in the vicinity in a folder marked
"Mariage," and was actually relocated and posted to this list when the
topic arose first time. (Possibly before you were here, Jon????)
Needless to say, it has sunk beneath the waves again, but I'm making a
mental note -- will try to locate. Meanwhile, whoever has a Glafkides at
hand, could look it up.

As for proprietary -- unh unh, I doubt anyone can make that stick, given
the givens.

(As I recall the "etch bleach" was name in Langford, Advanced Photography,
same thing more or less, but the swollen gelatin was used as basis for
rolling up with ink for printing.)

Judy