peroxide RE: mordancage

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/20/00-12:09:56 AM Z

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Jonathan Bailey wrote:
> As for the use of drugstore hydrogen peroxide - I can't attest to its
> effectiveness in Sudre's formula - it strikes me as rather too dilute. I
> purchase 30 and 40 volume HO from the woman who cuts my hair and pay $7-8 a
> gallon for it.... probably cheaper per gallon than the drugstore stuff.

I forgot to mention that I used a larger volume of the 3% peroxide than in
the formula, reducing the amount of water proportionately. But my
experience with peroxide is that once it's open it goes off fairly soon,
anyway, within a month or two. My arithmetic is not on tap at the moment,
but even if cost is less, you could end up throwing a lot out -- or might
find discrepancies in weaker solution. You'd probably use it up for a
class -- tho lugging a gallon home on foot (for those of us who don't live
in cars & are your basic l.o.l.'s) is a problem, too.

best,

Judy