Re:Homemade paper and Luminos

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 02/23/00-12:23:14 PM Z

>Do any of you have any suggestions as to what to coat on my homemade paper
>before I coat the Luminos onto the paper? I am afraid the the paper is
>going to fall apart if I don't apply something to the paper first. Someone
>told me to coat the paper with a water clean up polyureathane? Does this
>sound right to any of you? Thanks ERIN :-)
 Hi Erin,
 THAT'S the question! The instructions that come with liquid light says
to use oil based products for a subbing solution on objects. I found
that white spray paint is better than the polyurethane. Polyurethane
ages and turns a funky yellow color, looks good on wood, not to
pleasing for a photograph.
 I've done luminos on paper that I made, with and without gelatin
sizing. It just depends on how you want the print to look. If you want
the luminos to soak into the paper and for the image to become part of
the paper, don't size, but the detail won't be as sharp. If you want a
sharper image, size the paper as if you were preparing it for a gum
print. Then the luminous emulsion will not soak in, but will sit on the
surface and the image will have more detail, more contrast, and will be
higher gloss. There are several products that people use for sizing
papers, I think I'd try them before I ever considered polyurethane on
paper. Try a test with household spray starch! Did I show you this
print before? homemade paper, no sizing, sepia toned, Luminous....
<http://upnatom.com/tree.html>
Let us know what works for you!
garimo