Re: Calibration of Digital Negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/29/00-07:55:09 PM Z

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, David J. Romano wrote:

> Garet,
> I had some trouble interpreting what you've calculated, but let me make a few
> comments. Density is a logarithmic function. You can't just divide densities to
> get dot area. You have to first convert the densities into reflectances, a
> linear function. Densities which differ by .30 differ in reflectance by a
> factor of two. Also, if your densitometer does not calculate dot area for you,
> follow the Murray-Davies formula for determining dot area.

I figure it's no worse to have 2 dumb questions in a day than one. So tell
me, why not just chart the density readings of a 21 step ? Isn't the drawn
"curve" more useful than the rows of figures? In my experience, it's MUCH
easier to follow & visualize in that form. Of course there may be
important info contained in David's method that I missed entirely... Is it
because the readings are different in dots than continuous tone?

Judy