Re: Calibration of Digital Negatives

From: David J. Romano (romano@agfa.com)
Date: 02/29/00-02:58:33 PM Z

Garet,
I had some trouble interpreting what you've calculated, but let me make a few
comments. Density is a logarithmic function. You can't just divide densities to
get dot area. You have to first convert the densities into reflectances, a
linear function. Densities which differ by .30 differ in reflectance by a
factor of two. Also, if your densitometer does not calculate dot area for you,
follow the Murray-Davies formula for determining dot area.

1-(10^-(Density of the tint-Density of the paper))
divided by
1-(10^-(Density of the solid-Density of the paper))
times 100
= percent dot area

Example using your data.
Ds = 2.28 (100% dot)
Dp = .06 (0% dot)
Dt = .74 (your 50% patch)

1-(10^-(.74-.06)) = .791
divided by
1-(10^-(2.28-.06)) = .994
times 100
= 79.6% dot area

In the graphic arts world, we would refer to this output as having 29.6% dot
gain.

The correct dot areas are as follows:
Input% Density Output%
0 .06 0
5 .10 8.9
10 .15 18.8
20 .26 37.1
30 .41 55.7
40 .57 69.5
50 .74 79.6
60 .93 87.0
70 1.17 92.8
80 1.46 96.6
90 1.82 98.9
95 2.03 99.5
100 2.28 100

You should plot these values to determine a linearization curve For example,
you need to request about a 27% dot to get a 50% dot on the output. However, it
would be better if you would make a print from this negative and measure the
dot area of that, and plot those values against the entered values. It's more
difficult to explain that to do.

To simplify it for you, you could remove the second half of the equation, which
in this case, resulted in .994 if your density range is above 2.0. The error
introduced by this will be less than 1% dot area. Here the density range is
2.22, so the error would only be about 0.5%. As you can see this in the
difference between 79.1% and 79.6%. The error bars on the densitometer
measurements themselves is +/- 2% depending on the quality of the sample.

Hope this helps.

Dave