Salted Paper/Selenium Followup

Title: Salted Paper/Selenium Followup
This is for the mysterious R.M. (who gave no full name or return address) and for Richard Knoppow from Steve Puglia via myself:

Thanks for forwarding the comments from these two list members.  I am
not an Alt-Photo-Proc list member and have only looked at the list a few
times when searches indicated topics I was looking for were discussed.
With everything else going on, I have not had time to keep up with all
the available list-serves on topics that are of interest.

Richard Knoppow's comments answered many of the questions from R.M., and
I would agree with Richard that the single most important thing for
preserving any photograph is to provide proper storage.  The standards
group feels the protective treatments are added protection and confer
some benefit in situations where you can not control the storage
environment, but if the storage temperature and humidity are controlled
to the recommended conditions, then the protective treatments are not
necessary.

Although you are not able to reply to R.M., my stay at the Library of
Congress proved to be relatively brief.  I am back at the National
Archives.  I still deal with various issues relating to the preservation
of photographs and the duplication of historic negatives, but most of
the time I am dealing with digital imaging (the hot topic these days for
many photographers and for libraries, museums, and archives).  I do a
lot of scanning for our exhibits, including for the production of
exhibit prints, for publication, for producing facsimiles, and for web
use.  I am still on the standards committees, but now I am chair of the
subcommittee dealing with the stability of color photographs (of course
we are trying to deal with all the digital hard copy processes like
inkjets).