Re: Kallitypes not recognized.

Jack Fulton wrote:

> I recently noted that @ SFMOMA's collection of photographs, some of the
> pieces had been designated as platinum while they were actually kallitypes.
>
> This is not quite the case as I had thought.
>
> It seems that a few of the platinum prints were actually an unusual silver
> process on a very unusual paper. What this is I do not know nor does the
> staff.
> I believe also that there are some questionable platinum prints but to
> thoroughly check them would take some expensive tests

Dear Jack-

A simple, non-destructive test for the presence of platinum is to place
a drop of 3% hydrogen peroxide on the print in an area with density
(dark border, for example).  If it bubbles, it's platinum.  The bubbles
are oxygen, and the remaining liquid is water.  Mike Ware suggested this
test.  It also appears in "Spirits of Salts".

Best,
Dan Donovan