Re: Digital Negatives with enough Tones for Pt/Pd

FDanB@aol.com wrote:
> If your scanner supports sending "High Bit" information to Photoshop,
> then you gain nothing from multiple scanning.

This is true.  My HP ScanJet 6300C scans 12-bit and seems to deliver
8-bit.  I thought it supported the "High Bit" transfer, but I do not
know how to switch it over.  (Have not found any info on this in the
documentation.)  Is there a quick check to see if the "High Bit" is
working?

Whether I split the tone information in Photoshop or the scanner is of
little concern.  I should be able to do it with the levels command in
Photoshop and save as three files if the 12-bit information is
transferred.  Although this scanner reproduces a scan extremely well, it
might be better to avoid the possibility of misalignment.

Dan,
Understanding and appreciating you expertise in digital negatives:
Have you done a test to count the maximum number of tones that are
delivered using your standard method of making a digital negative?  Or
are you plannig to do so?  If so, could you share that information?
Have you made a digital negative the same size as the original and as
close a match as posible, and printed both to compare?  I have not yet
been able to NOT get a slight posterization in the print from the
digital negative (especially in the highlights).  Using an image with a
lot of high values printed in palladium may show this difference better.

And understand that I am not saying that the posterization is bad, but
that it is not what I want.  I want as many tones (as little
posterization) as the process and the eye can handle.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/