Re: Digital Negatives with enough Tones for Pt/Pd

You said in your message...

> What does matter is that
>several scans must be made on separate ranges of the original negative
>in order to transfer a larger number of unique tones to the print.

Jeff,

If your scanner supports sending "High Bit" information to Photoshop,
then you gain nothing from multiple scanning. If, on the other hand, you
have an 8-bit scanner (or a 12-bit scanner that only permits taking 8
bits into Photoshop), then indeed, multiple scanning (to capture
different tonal ranges in the original) can be a big help. I cover this
in depth in "Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing" in the
Chapter, "Digital Imaging Tips for the Grayscale Worker."

Hope this helps,

Dan

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
danphoto@aol.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."