Re: Buxton Papers

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Tom Ferguson wrote:
> Anyway, coating either new or classic cyanotype can be very simple.  Your
> Cranes and Bristol are both smooth surface papers, which work great with a
> "puddle pusher".  My students have loved working with these.  You can get a
> nicely made one from the list's own "Bostic and Sullivan".  Perhaps a good
> alternative if you are having trouble getting a good brush coating.

In my experience, foam applicator for cyano can practically do no wrong --
& much more relaxed than puddle pusher -- also more flexible. You can do a
really big print that way, otherwise you need a humongous puddle
pusher for lots of money & I don't think they come above a certain size --
(one of the charms of cyanotype is working REALLY big is no big
deal). Also more choices about the edge...

> As to paper, classic cyanotype will create an image on almost anything!  Do
> remember that your contrast and print speed will be different on each type
> of paper.  In general for classic cyanotype, any paper that works for
> platinum will work for cyanotype.  My current favorite is Cranes Platinotype
> WHITE (you have to specify white, otherwise you get get cream).  This is

I found a note in my notes about "Cranes AS 8111." Does that paper have
another name? For some reason (possibly just ignorance) I don't recognize
it.

> > My exposure times are running between 20 and 30 minutes and I either
> > underexpose or overexpose.<BIG SNIP>>

How dense are your negatives?  That sounds like a LOT of exposure -- 3
inches from tightly ranged BL bulbs, "classic" cyano is 8 to 12 minutes.
Longer on some papers, but less on others.  Incidentally, someone
mentioned Fabriano Uno -- that's one of the FEW papers I've found doesn't
work with cyano...