Re: Buxton Papers

Judy,
    Crane's AS8111 is Crane's Kid Finish writing paper. It's the first paper
I printed palladium on. I still have a box I bought in the 70s- great paper.
Cheers. Charlie

In a message dated 7/7/00 6:29:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jseigel@panix.com
writes:

<<
 On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Tom Ferguson wrote:
 > Anyway, coating either new or classic cyanotype can be very simple.  Your
 > Cranes and Bristol are both smooth surface papers, which work great with a
 > "puddle pusher".  My students have loved working with these.  You can get a
 > nicely made one from the list's own "Bostic and Sullivan".  Perhaps a good
 > alternative if you are having trouble getting a good brush coating.

 In my experience, foam applicator for cyano can practically do no wrong --
 & much more relaxed than puddle pusher -- also more flexible. You can do a
 really big print that way, otherwise you need a humongous puddle
 pusher for lots of money & I don't think they come above a certain size --
 (one of the charms of cyanotype is working REALLY big is no big
 deal). Also more choices about the edge...

 > As to paper, classic cyanotype will create an image on almost anything!  Do
 > remember that your contrast and print speed will be different on each type
 > of paper.  In general for classic cyanotype, any paper that works for
 > platinum will work for cyanotype.  My current favorite is Cranes
Platinotype
 > WHITE (you have to specify white, otherwise you get get cream).  This is

 I found a note in my notes about "Cranes AS 8111." Does that paper have
 another name? For some reason (possibly just ignorance) I don't recognize
 it.

 > > My exposure times are running between 20 and 30 minutes and I either
 > > underexpose or overexpose.>

 How dense are your negatives?  That sounds like a LOT of exposure -- 3
 inches from tightly ranged BL bulbs, "classic" cyano is 8 to 12 minutes.
 Longer on some papers, but less on others.  Incidentally, someone
 mentioned Fabriano Uno -- that's one of the FEW papers I've found doesn't
 work with cyano...

 -