Re: Shared learning experience on albumen

Judy Seigel wrote:

> I'm curious -- is this coming to the entire list every day -- or just to
> selected persons?
>
> I'll add, for what it's worth, that I'd thought this list itself was a
> "shared learning experience" -- certainly it has seemed so to me in *many*
> respects...

And Judy, I certainly agree with you.  It is important that all of us
continue to bring forward productive information and insight as to the
alt-photo processes.  And I'll add that it really becomes kind of a
responsibility to bring forward the contributions.

Occasionally someone will send out a promotional bit about themselves or
an exhibit or workshop.  This is usually a one time announcement of
events that really have no other venue in which to be aired.  But, there
does become a point when promotion for a commercial endeavor or a
competition for our time starts to become annoying and not really within
the purpose of the alt-photo list.

Now, I am not referring to the one time posting of the following.

"Richard S. Sullivan" wrote:
> ... I've added a Conference called Albumen Learning Center on the B+S Alt Photo
> Circle ...
> Drop by the Circle and go to the Albumen Learning Center and let us know
> what your thought are. ...
> It'll either go or not go depending on the activity level. It doesn't cost
> anything to give it a go.

This post certainly seems to be a sincere informative opportunity that
alt-photo list subscribers would be interested in knowing about.

However, the following has been posted more than once to the alt-photo
list and I feel represents the other side of my point.

Richard Sullivan wrote:
> ... Thanks for signing up at the B+S Alt Photo Circle webboard. If you haven't
> been by for a while, please pay us a visit. ...
> What's been happening: ...
> If your bored with the whole alt photo thing and don't want this nagging
> email then logon and remove your login. Your Alt Photo Circle persona will
> vanish into hyper-space.

I certainly do not need nor desire to have periodic updates and
solicitations from another list (and we do not have to get into the
various merits of that list).  I would suggest that the alt-photo list
should be removed from this "nagging email".

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/