The Formulary's Carbon Printing Workshop

Just a short report on the carbon workshop in Montana I directed July
9-14. The workshop went very well and I have finally made it back to
South Carolina after traversing by car the vast and seemingly endless
horizons of the midwest and midsouth.

There were seven students at the workshop and my assistant, by a
great coincidence, had worked for many years in the library at
Clemson University before moving to Montana where she is now a
student of photography at MSU. The facilities at Formulary are
excellent and the students had plenty of space to carry out their
work. I would also comment that the landscape around Condon is
spectacular (mountains, valleys, vistas, etc.). The temperature and
humidity of the working environment was also satisfactory, though on
two days the outside temperature rose to over 90 degrees and made it
somewhat difficulty to work in the laboratory in the late pm on those
days.

The workshop covered all of the elementary aspects of carbon printing
(making tissue, sensitizing, development of the image, single and
double transfer, final finishing, etc.) plus some of the essentials
about making good negatives for carbon printing.  Everyone at the
workshop managed to make a number of good carbon images, both by the
single and double transfer process. I could not have been more
pleased with the overall work of the student and must say that the
environment and working conditions contributed much to the success of
the experience.

I have agreed to direct another carbon printing workshop at the
Formulary in early July 2001. Should you know anyone interested in
learning or perfecting their skills in carbon printing please pass
the word.

Sandy King