Re: Introductory teaching materials

At 8:55 PM -0400 7/30/00, Sarah Van Keuren wrote:
>Chicago Albumen Works (info@albumenworks.com) sells silver chloride
>printing-out-paper that can be handled in subdued room light. The students
>can make photograms  by leaving objects on the paper on windowsills. No
>chemicals are needed if they keep the photograms in notebooks and don't mind
>a slow darkening of the image that occurs each time it is viewed. The sheets
>of POP can also be fixed in paper strength fixer but in that case they need
>to be overexposed to an olive-green solarization in the shadows because
>fixing bleaches somewhat. The students can draw on tracing paper and make
>contacts of that and bring filmstrips from home to contact.

The problem with the POP from CAW is the high cost. There may be a
couple of ways to beat that:

One is the graphic arts paper called Daylight Copy, I believe, that
can be handled under the yellow bug light used for most alternative
processes. Exposure is by sunlight or UV lamps.

Another is essentially vandyke, but commercially coated on cheap
paper, called Silver Print Paper. Processing is identical to vandyke.

Both of the above should be available from your graphic arts supplier
- ask your offset printshop to help you locate one. However, it has
been many years since I used either, so, I won't be surprised at all
if they are discontinued. Perhaps someone else can provide
information about their availability?

Sam Wang