Re: PIGMENT PRINTS

Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Randall Webb wrote:
>

> > Bob, you may have stumbled on Oil Prints which can be used as an
> alternative
> > name for pigment prints.
> > We gave it a whole page in Spirits of Salts which is all it deserves
> as it
> > is a very boring process
> > Hope this helps. Randall Webb
> >

> My recollection is that the Sudek show catalog about 4 years ago was
> titled something like "The pigment prints" -- such was the lack of
> process
> info by the cataloguers that -- well when I visited the show at ICP
> with a
> talk by whatsername, the very charming lady who championed his work --
> was the one who had the closest idea of what the dickens they were,
> and
> frankly I sort of made it up. Re-reading the catalog later and from
> other
> sources, I figured they probably were carbon transfer... but I THINK
> I've
> also heard carbro so designated, so it may be an umbrella term.
> Possibly
> even bromoil would be included????
>
> Anyway, thanks for the comment, Randall - I had figured I owed it to
> the
> muse to try oil printing...  it's in a bunch of the old books &
> magazines.
> I'll, um, lower the priority. I do recall reading that when xxxxxxx
> came
> along oil printing was superceded.  Maybe the xxxxxxxx was carbro?
>
> Judy
> | Judy Seigel, Editor                           >
> | World Journal of Post-Factory Photography     > "HOW-TO and WHY"
> | info@post-factory.org                         >
> | <http://rmp.opusis.com/postfactory/postfactory.html>

At least in one older text , the chapter on pigment processes includes
Carbon, Artigue, Fresson, Gum-Bichromate, Ozotype, and others less
known. Carbro and Bromoil are designated as Pigment Prints from Silver
Prints. So according to this author, the name would include all
processes incorporating pigment  to form the image  in sensitized
gelatin or by transfer from a gelatin matrix. I believe carbon tissue is
correctly called pigment paper(at least when used with photogravure) but
assumed that name because carbon black  was commonly used as the
pigment.

Walt