Re: Developing time for Pt/Pd

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/06/00-05:47:34 AM Z

Nick Makris wrote:
> ... what is the correct
> developing time for a DOP print?? Are there differences for Potassium
> Oxalate, Cold Bath and Ammonium Citrate?

I have found one minute to be adequate for Potassium Oxalate and
Ammonium Citrate even though Eric suggests two. (I do not use Cold
Bath.) This is not a big deal as the print develops quite quickly.
More important is the amount of material "clearing" into the developer
which WILL eventually adversely effect future developments. The faster
material is accumulated into the developer, the sooner the developer
will need replacement.

With heavy papers much developer is carried off so that replenishment
occurs frequently. However even after a good long amount of use, or when
fogging begins to appear, it is good practice to start with fresh
developer.

With Potassium Oxalate, a fresh new developer may produce a different
look to the print or a "greenish" color. This can be avoided by adding
a dropper of platinum solution to the developer or better adding some of
the old developer. Many Pt/Pd printers condition their developer this
way (addition of Pt). However I have found that a bit of old developer
will do the same without severely harming the new developer.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/