Re: two questions on 4x5 film and holders

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 06/08/00-12:27:05 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
Subject: two questions on 4x5 film and holders

> This is really elementary, but I wondered what everyone's BW 4x5 film
> preference is: TMAX 100 or TriX or what? If you want, you can email me
off
> list if this is not applicable. I always use TMAX 100 but another
> photographer totally disagreed with that choice and I was wondering if
this
> is fact or opinion.
> Another question: I have a couple film holders that are really sticky
> in the slider grooves. Has anyone ever soaked their film holders in
water,
> or how better to clean that kind of residue off? Air has not done it. I
> can't figure out how to get in there to get the goop out...
> Chris

On cleaning film holders, you sometimes have to take an old tooth brush and
really scrub the trough that holds the film flat along the sides of the film
holder.

A stiff brush is necessary to remove any gunk that might build up on the
inside surface, then brush with a radium or neutral ionization dust remover
and blow off so anyhairs from either brush are removed. I do all this about
once every five or ten changes.

I photograph on sandy beaches, alot and I need to clean my film holders.

As for film, I use them all.

I found TMax to be *right on* with posted film speed; TriX has a latitude
from 320 to 250 and sometimes rating it at 200 is perfect.

I like Forte 400 rated at 200 which is exactly right on perfect and exactly
what the company instructions say in translated Hungarian, "Using this film
out doors, add one diaphram." :))) It does say that!

HP 4 is a nice film, rated at iso 80; Agfa 25 and Agfa 100 is very
prcidtable. Both Agfa films develop exactly to instructions and with D 76,
there could be no flaws. Edward Weston used Agfa 25 a lot and developed
with Pyro. Got sparkling results.

The sleeper of sleepers is Delta Pro by Ilford, both the 100 and 400 speed.
But it's for playful photographers who rate, pro rate and use filters; then
bracket and develop one for test secnd for real and third for corrections.
Most who I know, toss the forth because one of those three is always right
on. The funnest developer for the Delta films is PMK with a 'dash' of
amidol.

My clost examination of Ansel's prints show me his use of TriX with the
Windich formula is the most of the mostest; and I am about to mix up a bunch
for my 5X7 and let me add if you have any trepedations about toxisity and
photo chemistry, Widnich is the most inhibiting. I'm not going to quote the
instructions, wrought with warnings.

4X5 printed at 11X14 is the best combination ever. 8X10 printed contact on
Azo with Amidol is the most exciting and remunerative product I ever
achieved.

Kim Weston uses HC 110 on his TriX and Lauder paper developer toget some of
the most exciting B&W prints I have ever seen, lately. I seem to remember he
said the paper he used most is Ilford. Bob Beyers uses Oriental Seagull and
Clayton P20; or Cachet and Clayton P20 like Henry Guilpin and they get the
best detial with medium format I have ever seen, with consistency.

I'm afrain I've gone on too far.

S. Shapiro