Re: two questions on 4x5 film and holders

From: Nelson Goforth (ngoforth@earthnet.net)
Date: 06/08/00-12:06:44 AM Z

If you know the film holders are gummy, you might try acetone or cigarette
lighter fluid or suchlike on a swab (followed by air to get rid of the
lint). But the other possibility is that the little fins that hold the
film down have gotten squished. A little judicious leverage with a very
thin lever might do wonders. I had this problem myself due to some lunatic
trying to drill little holes in the fins to make a sort of 'dot code' to
identify holders. I (I mean he!) stopped after realizing the squishing
problem.

I think some of the TMax/TriX debate revolves around "why mess with (near)
perfection". I go with TriX, myself, but have yet to be disappointed and
am getting to be an old foggy anyway.... where was I?

Nelson

>This is really elementary, but I wondered what everyone's BW 4x5 film
>preference is: TMAX 100 or TriX or what? If you want, you can email me off
>list if this is not applicable. I always use TMAX 100 but another
>photographer totally disagreed with that choice and I was wondering if this
>is fact or opinion.
> Another question: I have a couple film holders that are really sticky
>in the slider grooves. Has anyone ever soaked their film holders in water,
>or how better to clean that kind of residue off? Air has not done it. I
>can't figure out how to get in there to get the goop out...
>Chris

                      Nelson GOFORTH
Website design, perl scripting, Filemaker Pro, MS Excel Visual Basic
 - computer services and training for the Motion Picture Industry -
www.cfva.com -- www.coloradofilm.org -- CFVA/MPFA Newsletter