Re: two questions on 4x5 film and holders

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/08/00-05:30:30 AM Z

"Christina Z. Anderson" wrote:
> ... I wondered what everyone's BW 4x5 film
> preference is: TMAX 100 or TriX or what? ...
> Another question: I have a couple film holders that are really sticky
> in the slider grooves. ... I
> can't figure out how to get in there to get the goop out...

I use and prefer Tri-x with HC-110 and can site verbadum the responce of
Jan Pietrzak, although I don't have any 11x14.

As to cleaning holders:
Nelson Goforth wrote:
> If you know the film holders are gummy, you might try acetone or cigarette
> lighter fluid or suchlike on a swab ...

Acetone and other solvents may cause damage to the plastic parts of
holders, so be careful. I recommend AGAINST the use of acetone. Water
may weaken the black tape/hinge of the holder. The best ideas I've
heard are the tooth brush and or card.
I have been careful with my holders to always keep them in large Ziplock
bags (for 4x5, 6 per bag) or inside a film holder carrying case (8x10).
If the holders are always in the bag/case or camera, it is unlikely they
will get gummed up. Especially do not lean them against a tree full of
sap or set them on the ground. I have only had to vacuum dust,
routinely before every loading.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/