Re: two questions on 4x5 film and holders

From: Les Newcomer (lnphoto@ismi.net)
Date: 06/08/00-08:44:04 AM Z

Just trying to keep this from being one sided, I use Tmax 100/400 for
everything from 35mm to 8x10. I"m a fine grain fanatic and jumped over from
Tri-X when tmax came out, tho I will admit 8x10 contact prints on either Tri-x
or tmax are about the same from a grain standpoint.

I think it's personal preference. If it works for you, then use it. When my
supplier is out of tmax, I'll gladly use Tri-X in the larger formats

I do remember a revelation I had about 10 years ago. I had been printing 8x10s
from 6x6 negs on Tmax and was getting the feeling these were still not as sharp
and grainless as I had thought they could be. Then I had a chance to print and
older Tri-X neg from the same camera done a few years earlier. After that my
Tmax negs never looked sharper or finer.

Les