Re: Negative Retouching

From: Les Newcomer (lnphoto@ismi.net)
Date: 06/08/00-02:52:51 PM Z

Retouching is a skill, not magic. But like photography, some have better
skills than others. And it takes patients and dilligence.

Kodak makes/made a book on retouching, but I'm not sure if its out of print or
not.

When I was learning neg retouching we used a 2 B and 4B lead in a clamp style
mechanical pencil. (The lead was thick 3/32" dia and the pencil did not
advance the lead, it was more of a pin vise.

We covered the then negative with a thin coat of something, I believe it was
called retouching fluid, but my nose told me it was clear laquer. We put a
couple of drops on the neg and then moved it around with a cotton ball. (the
Conservators are now having heart palpations, but that's how we did it) after
the laquer dried (few seconds) we could fill in the the shadows with pencil,
usualy in a gentile sweeping motion with the pencil held at a near parallel
angle to the neg. (which was on a light box)

Once the penciling was done we sprayed it with laquer again.

Oh yes and we usually retouched on the base side, so as not to tear the
emulsion, others were able to work on the emulsion.

Les