Negative Retouching

From: Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Date: 06/08/00-02:13:52 PM Z

I've started to become interested in replicating the style of the late
George Hurrell (Hollywood photographer of the 1930s).

I understand that he spent a lot of time retouching his 10x8" negatives
using a pencil in order to enhance the final print. I've seen a before and
after example of a print of Joan Crawford, and he was able to remove all
imperfections including freckles and wrinkles.

I'm currently shooting on 5x4" Kodak Tri-X, developing in Rollo-Pyro, and
printing Ziatype.

I just wondered if anyone had any idea of how I could retouch negatives.
Are there any books on this technique, or is it beyond mere mortals like
myself?

Thanks in advance

David Nash