Re: Negative Retouching

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 06/08/00-03:42:16 PM Z

Becoming more and more of a lost art, there are several ways to retouch
sheet film negatives. They all amount to adding density or removing
density.

Adams made a device that was a small vibrating light box that helped with
the "stippling" action with the retouching pencils. This lead application
method worked well on the base side of negatives.

For pencil retouching on sheet film Tri-X, you're in luck because there
is a retouching "tooth" on both sides of the film. This tooth is simply a
gelatin overcoat that is textured so the pencil has a micro-rough surface
on which to adhere.

The fluid that Les mentioned in his good post is Kodak Retouching Fluid.
I'm both embarrassed and amused that I could put my hands on a bottle of
the stuff within ten seconds of reading his note! This fluid puts a
tooth on smoother films (like Plus-X) and is (was?) also used to remove
the pencil if one went too far with the retouching.

An "abrading tool" can also be used on the base side to eliminate pin
holes (caused by air bells on the emulsion surface during development),
etc. This tool is basically a tiny needle point that's used to carefully
"prick" the base surface to raise the gelatin, which in turn refracts the
enlarger light to eliminate the black spot in the print. (Whew!)

Another negative retouching technique is to abrade or etch away the
actual emulsion. A special tool (like a tiny ice scraper) is used to
(carefully) shave away the emulsion to reduce the silver density. Dating
myself once more: I actually had an assignment at Brooks Institute in
which we had to intentionally shoot a portrait with the hair light set
too hot on the subject. We then had to shave away the dense emulsion on
the negative to make the hair print properly. Coming from a long line of
musicians and architects, I did a pretty good job with the retouching.
Nothing like having obsolete skills!

Lastly (at least in my post) is Kodak Abrasive Reducer. This is like
rubbing compound and works the same way. You rub the past on the emulsion
side to "wear away" the silver thereby reducing the density which makes
those areas print darker.

Reading back over what I've just written makes me bow down to the digital
gods at Adobe!

Hope this helps!

Dan