RE: Gum Bichromate

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: 06/08/00-03:41:46 PM Z

I've had success with using Golden and Liquitex Acrylic matte medium
(diluted 1 to 10 with tap water) to size my paper. For whatever reason, it
seems NOT to work on some of my favorite papers, so experimentation is in
order. Also, acrylic-sized paper seems to need an extra "size-replenisher"
somewhere down the road if you're attempting multiple coats. I resize after
the first coat, and again after the third.

Another thing I learned is that the size solution needs to be relatively
fresh. I once sized a dozen sheets of Fabriano Artistico with a week-old
solution and got very grainy prints. A fresh coat of size didn't seem to
help at all.

On the plus side, no glyoxal or formaldehyde hardening step is necessary, as
it is when using gelatin.

Good luck.

Keith