Re: Re: sun exposures vs. UV light

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 06/17/00-01:38:41 PM Z

In a message dated 06/17/2000 14:41:45, you wrote:

<<...becoming conscious of how much your pupils are
contracting...>>

Sarah,

You talking about your eyes or your students? Personally, I'm afraid of how
much and just what my pupils are picking up these days...

But back to the real topic. The weather here in Michigan this year has been
crazy, 70 in February and very cool and wet this spring. 90 and sticky one
day, 65 and windy the next. Rain, rain,rain. My students are having one
heck of a time getting consistent exposures/print color. Fewer problems
indoors under the UV tubes.

But they have also run into a weird problem I've never seen before. Some of
them bought some Arches (Cover?) paper and the VDBs are printing more on the
gray side. I too suspect it is from not having the paper dry enough and the
ambient humidity, but something else leads me to believe another demon is at
work. Their cyanotypes on the same paper are printing blue-violet and
bleaching away as they dry. I've never used the Cover, but I suspect it must
be buffered and changing pH to the alkaline side. We've tried acidifying the
water with both citric or acetic, but to no avail. Cyanos on Platine,
Cranes, etc., are printing fine but this one paper seems to be out of
control. Any insights?

Thanks,

Joe