Re: Need advice on development times for Plus-X

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06/21/00-02:18:58 AM Z

At 12:20 AM 06/21/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello everybody
>
>I know this might be a bit off topic, but some friends of mine came over
>with a roll of Kodak Plus-X pan film that they've found while cleaning out
>their house prior to moving. They can not recall ever having shot that
>kind of film, and suspect that it might be even older than their period in
>that house (speaking approx. 8 years.)
>
>They want me to develop it, and I'm a bit uncertain if I should compensate
>for the age of the film, and if so, how much. I'm going to use Rodinal, as
>that is my standard developer. I don't think I've ever used Plus-X, so I
>actually don't really have a clue here.
>
>Thanks In Advance
>
>Birger Aune
>birgera@c2i.net

    Plus-X has been the same emulsion for about 35 years. There is a
complete data brochure on the Kodak web site at http://www.kodak.com Click
on "Search" and type in "F-8"
    Make sure you look at the right kind of film, Kodak makes two very
different films with the same name. One is available only as roll film, the
other as sheet film. The brochure covers both types.
   Agfa has a booklet on its film chemicals on it's web site at
http://www.agfaphoto.com The booklet includes development times for Plus-X
(presumably roll film) in Rodinal. Their recommended times for a gamma of
0.65 are: 1:25 6 min @ 68F; 1:50 13min @ 68F I recommend using the higher
dilution. Developing for much longer will just build up the fog, which
after a time, grows in density faster than the image.
   Old film tends to pick up fog. If this is _exposed_ film develop it
normally. Anything you do to reduce the fog will also partially destroy the
latent image. If its un-exposed film rate at half speed and develop
normally. You can also add about 0.2 grams of Benzotriazole to the
developer. That will reduce the fog but you will still need to increase the
exposure. The only benifit of the anti-foggant is reduced printing times.
   If you really want to know what the film does get some new stock. The
roll and 35mm version of Plus-X is very nice very fine grain stuff with a
medium toe. I recommend developing it in either D-76 1:1 or in Xtol 1:1.
That will result in noticably finer grain than Rodinal and somewhat
increased speed.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.