Re: Options for larger negatives

From: Ralph Rinke (rrphotog@intergate.bc.ca)
Date: 06/24/00-03:16:31 AM Z

David,
   I recently build an 8x10 neg with the help of Dan Burkholder's book. I
have capable photoshop skills and had a successful neg output at a prepress
service bureau that printed nicely. It was my first go at it and was a
thrill to get such a good result, Dan holds your hand with step by step
instructions that couldn't be much simpler. I wanted to see what I could get
away with, so I scanned a 4x5 colour print on a mid range Agfa flatbed. The
original RGB tiff file was somewhere around 37 Mb. I used the Red channel
for my neg and after playing in photoshop and applying the Pt/Pd curve my
file size was just under 14 Mb. My cost for the stochastic lith film neg was
$25.00 Cdn on an 81/2 x 11 sheet of film. You could bring that cost down by
ganging up a number of negs on a larger sheet of film.
   All in all I am looking forward to printing more larger negs in the
future.

   regards, Ralph

If your interested:

Dan Burkholder
P.O. Box 111877
Carrollton, TX 75011-1877
USA
972-242-9819
fax 972-242-9651
danphoto@aol.com
www.danburkholder.com

Author of the book nobody should be without:
"Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing."

Ralph Rinke - Photographer
rrphotog@intergate.ca